A comparison: John Quincy Adams and Donald Trump on recent immigrants and cultural assimilation

Here’s John Quincy Adams (our sixth President) saying something about recent immigrants (specifically Germans, in this case) and cultural assimilation that is not much unlike Trump’s remarks on Twitter about several members of Congress that raised a stir this past summer. See especially the final sentence.

Here is the Trump remark for comparison.

I grant that Adams’ “…if they cannot accommodate themselves to the character of this country, moral, political, and physical, of this country, the Atlantic is always open to them, to return to the land of their nativity and their fathers” is certainly more elegant than Trump’s “So interesting to see “Progressive” Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world…now loudly and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came,” but the sentiments are roughly the same.

(Note that I don’t know what this site is and am not making any statement of endorsement about it in giving this url–it’s just the only one online where I could find the whole Adams quote intact).

Speak Your Mind

*